Thursday 20 September 2012

Visiting Ganesha

September 20, 2012

Just a short note today to add to my previous post about Ganesha.  I spent the afternoon "visiting" with my Hindu friend.  This is the way you spend this holiday - going from house to house, paying tribute to each and every Ganesha, putting a bit of money on the altar for the priest, and being offered teas and sweets.  What a GREAT holiday!!!   I couldn't tell you everything I consumed this afternoon......a mung dal fermented in salt ghee, samosas, candies, chikki, vada (that might have been the name of the fermented dal)...so many names and all so strange to  my ears and taste buds.   I can honestly say, however, that everything was wonderful!  I cleaned my plate at each and every house (my mamma would have been proud)! 

Right now it is about 6:30 pm, and the first of the worshippers are lining up, getting ready to submerge their Ganesha so he can go home.  Outside the air is filled with chanting, the Moslem call to prayer, drummers, revelers, and fire works.  Add to that mix horns honking, dogs barking, and one very unhappy Cockatiel that lives next door and it's totally overwhelming but in an "I can't believe I am in India and get to participate in this" kind of way. 

In one of the homes I visited the husband is a public official (he was introduced as a republican......I spoke to him anyway) LOL  We were discussing the pros and cons of Wal-Mart and IKEA coming to India, as well as Costco and possibly Target.
He asked me what I thought......and you know me, I might have unloaded a bit..........but he ASKED me!  As you can imagine, there are many, many people (shop owners) who are very upset by the decision to open trade like this and invite these stores into the country.  I've been told that the governmenet is not going to change it's mind. 

Okie dokie.  Enough about Ganesha. I promise - no more Ganesha until the 29th, when my friend submerges her Ganesha and has invited us to come along. 

My laundry is just about done for the day (doesn't matter where you are, you still have to do laundry).  Joel is working a bit late so we will have a grilled cheese/tomato soup supper.  Yes, we have Campbell's Tomato Soup!

Take care and love to all,
Beth


No comments:

Post a Comment